This recipe of Avocado Coriander Chutney or Indian Guacamole is both spiky and comforting accompaniment, can be dolloped on one side of the plate or smeared onto an encircling burrito or chappati. Creamy Avocado combined with the warm earthy flavors of cilantro, ginger and garlic – it is like an explosion of flavor and texture in your mouth !!
Traditionally, the Indian green chutney is the condiment which is made in almost every Indian household. In India, I watched my mom grind all the ingredients with great energy on a flat grindstone with a rectangular pestle to create intensely flavored mint chutneys, mustard paste, poppy seed paste, robust masala pastes and pesto-like fillings for a variety of breads and curries. The grinding stones would absorb the right amount of moisture and unique flavors would be developed by the grinding action. It was popularly called sil-batta in Hindi and shil nora in my mother tongue, Bengali. I was so enamored by the quality of these preparations, that during my recent visit to India, I preferred to use the sil batta instead of the electric mixer. I am sharing a you tube video of how to grind using the Traditional Indian Stone Grinder .
Today, fast paced technology enables us to prepare this chutney within 5 minutes in a food processor. You will surely devour this Avocado Coriander Chutney or Indian Guacamole, along with your meals . Bon Appetite!!
- 4-12 green chillies (adjust as per your spice preference)
- One knob ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup yogurt or curd or creamed coconut
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large bunch of coriander approx 200 gms
- 4 sprigs of mint, destalked(optional)
- 1 ripe avocado
- salt as per taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- Add the green chilies, ginger, garlic cloves, onions, yogurt and tomato into a food processor and blitz into a paste.
- Add the herbs , coriander and mint if using, and pulse again until the herbs blend.
- Cut the avocado into 2 halves, remove the stone or pulp inside and scoop out the avocado using a spoon into a bowl. Add the avocados, salt and sugar, processing again to mix thoroughly.
- Remove the chutney in a bowl. Use immediately or refrigerate it for 2-3 days.