Baked Apple Cinnamon Hand Pies as #Desserts are delicious, irresistible and comforting.Apple Cinnamon Pies are American classic dessert but these individual hand pies is quiet different from the basic fork-and-plate experience. A bite through the crisp pastry, sparkling with sugar, reveals a thick filling of sweet-and-tart apple cinnamon mixture and every bite make you feel like a taste of heaven. This recipe has been adapted from Cade and Carrian’s blog ohsweetbasil.com . This recipe was featured as the best recipes for #PlatiniBakeathon contests.
Technically a pie is something that happens when a pastry meets a filling. It is supposedly derived from the word ‘magpie’, as magpie collects a veriety of things and it was an essential feature of early pies that they contained a variety of ingredients.
Consequently the early pies were regarded as masterpieces of culinary delight as the recipe was easy, required less flour and can be prepared with simple, easily available ingredients. The crusts were often heavy, composed of some form of rough flour mixed with butter. Check out other sweet dishes across the world in #UrbanDesserts.
Pie can be sweet, savory, closed, open, small or large. According to the food historians, the original pies contained only meat and fish. Fruit pies like the apple pies were introduced not until the late 16th century by the early European settlers. “As American as apple pie” is a popular phrase which means even though the apple pies came to this country from Europe, however it was transformed into a distinctly American experience. As such in 1890, Queen Victoria of England specifically asked her baker to make an “American apple pie.”
- For the pie crust :
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 8 tbsp or 1 stick cold unsalted butter
- 2-4 tbsp ice cold water( as required)
- For the hand pies:
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tbsp milk or cold water
- 2 tsp sugar for sprinkling
- butter or cooking oil spray for greasing baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and grease it with butter. Keep it aside.
- Prepare the dough :
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Add salt and sugar into the flour. Add butter into it. Mix well until mixture becomes crumbly and resembles coarse meal.Take 2 tbsp ice cold water and knead it into a smooth dough.
- Wrap the dough with a plastic cling cover and refrigerate it for atleast 1 hour until firm.
- When you are ready to make the hand pies, take out the dough a few minutes earlier and leave it on the counter to let it soften lightly for easy rolling.
- Prepare the filling :
- Wash and clean apple with water. Peel,core and deseed the apple. Apply lemon juice on the apple to avoid decolouration and dice it into very fine small pieces. Smaller sized apple pieces helps to bake the apple faster.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together diced apple, cinnamon,vanilla, flour and sugar. Keep it aside.
- Assemble the hand pies :
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into ¼ inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter (3 inch or 4 inch) cut out as many circlas you can. Reroll the scraps of dough and repeat. The final number of circles should be even as one circle will form the bottom and the other circle will be top of the hand pie.
- To prepare the egg wash, mix one large egg with one tablespoon of milk in a bowl.Keep it aside.
- Arrange half of the circles on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the edges with egg wash. Add heaped 1 tablespoon of apple cinnamon filling in the center of each circle, leaving a border around the filling.
- Place the remaining circles on top and lightly seal the edges. Press the edges of each pie with back of a fork to seal it firmly. Make a X cut in the center of each pie with a knife to let steam escape while baking.
- Brush the top of the hand pies with egg wash and sprinkle some sugar over it.Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown and the filling starts bubbling in the center.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes. Then transfer pies to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Serve it warm or store it in an air tight container in the fridge for upto 3 days.