Soft, moist, delicious,sweet and oh-so-easy, this Banana-Coconut Cream Pie with Coconut-Gingersnap Cookies crust is the marriage of two amazing pies: coconut cream and banana cream pie. A recipe from scratch, the pie crust is made with shredded coconut and the addition of gingersnap cookies crumbs provides that extra crunch.The pie filling consists of the bananas, coconut cream and whipped cream.
I always begin my recipe developing process by examining many possible flavor combinations, the ingredients already available in my pantry and various cooking techniques, but keeping it real simple and easy.
For this recipe, my inspiration was a can of coconut cream sitting on my fridge staring at me !! I have already had success with coconut pulao, using the coconut cream. So, my sweet craving decided to try out a #UrbanDesserts pie this time and what better fruit than a banana will complement the coconut!!
I had initially planned to use just the shredded coconut with egg whites for my pie crust, but then as I had recently made smores pie with gingersnap cookies crust, I decided to use gingersnap cookies crumbs in this recipe as well and I am so glad I did. The result is probably the most autumnal-tasting crust you can make, with a nice rich nuttiness thanks to the toasted coconut.
- For the crust :
- 1¼ cup gingersnap cookies crumbs
- dash of salt
- 1 cup grated or shredded coconut toasted
- ⅓ cup chopped roasted almonds
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup of sugar
- For the toppings :
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ cup whipped cream
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup grated or shredded coconut toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coarsely grind the gingersnap cookies crumbs and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add ¾ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 cup coconut, almonds and the gingersnap cookie mixture.
- Spread gingersnap cookies-coconut pie crust mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9 inch pie plate. Chill the pie plate in the freezer for 10 minutes and then bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Thinly slice the bananas and arrange them on bottom of the cooled pie crust.
- In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream, coconut cream with the remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over the bananas and finally sprinkle the remaining coconut over it.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before slicing.