Mango is the most popular fruit in the summers of India. Apart from mango juice, mango shake , aam ras , there are many delectable, amazing recipes of mangoes. So, in my blog, I will bring some amazing mango recipes in the series #MagicOfMangoes, that are different, easy, quick and very delicious.
Lets travel to the east of India and relish the simple yet irresistible Bengali Raw Mango Chutney with Panch Phoron. Panch Phoron is a blend of whole spices like cumin seeds, fennel seeds, nigella seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in equal portions. Some bengalis like me use fenugreek seeds in less portion because of its bitter taste. The raw mango chutney is served at the end of a typical bengali meal. It can be served as a side dish or as sweet.
- 1 raw mango peeled and cut into thin slices lengthwise or chopped into small cubes
- 2 tsp Mustard Oil
- 1 dry red chillies
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black salt or normal salt
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 1 tsp panch phoron or use the below ingredients :
- ¼ tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 3-4 fenugreek seeds
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Dry roast the panch phoron spices. Or dry roast the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds and fenugreek seeds as listed in the panch phoron ingredients. Panch phoron consists of equal portions of these five whole spices but fenugreek seeds is used in lesser proportion because of its bitter taste. Grind the roasted spices into a fine powder in a spice grinder. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add mustard oil. When the oil is hot,add the mustard seeds and the dry red chilly. When the seeds stop to splutter, add the cut mango pieces. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt. Fry it on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add sugar and let it caramelise. Add about 1 cup water to the mixture. Cover and cook on medium heat till the mango pieces become soft and cooked.
- Sprinkle the roasted ground panch phoron. Stir and mix. Turn off the heat.
- Serve the raw mango chutney as a side dish or sweet with lunch or dinner.