My recent recipes these days in my kitchen are notable cheese dishes in which cheese is used as a primary ingredient or as a significant component of a dish or a food. Upma is one of the popular breakfast cuisine of South India. In this secret ingredient creamy cheese upma recipe, semolina is cooked with onions, mushrooms, green peas, milk, cheese and a desi ghee tempering of cashews or almonds. Once the semolina is cooked to a soft mushy consistency, it is served hot, garnished. My inspiration for this dish is Chef Kunal Kapur’s recipe ‘Creamy Upma’ from MyYellowTable food show.
Prep Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2 people
- 1/4 cup fine semolina(sooji, rawa)
- 300 ml milk ( I used fat free)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese ( I used part-skim)
- half of small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves smashed, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup thinly sliced or chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 tsp desi ghee
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced cashews or chopped almonds
- salt as per taste
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add onions and garlic. Saute till the onions turn soft, translucent and light golden.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and the green peas . Stir fry at medium high heat till the mushrooms become soft and there is no moisture.
- Add the black pepper, pinch of salt and the semolina. Saute at low heat for 2-3 minutes. Do not brown the semolina.
- Pour warm milk into the pan. Stir and cook at low medium heat till the mixture begins to simmer and thicken slightly. Add cheese and salt as required into the mixture. Mix and stir gently till the cheese melts completely and the semolina is cooked into a soft,mushy consistency. Turn off the heat.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan and saute the chopped cashews or almonds. Garnish the creamy cheesy upma with this fried cashews or almonds along with the ghee.
- Serve the creamy cheese upma hot.