Easy and Simple Mango Chutney in a Pressure Cooker Recipe is an easy, breezy sweet and spicy chutney cooked to perfection in a pressure cooker in just 15 minutes. I have shared a different version of the mango chutney here. Traditionally, as learnt by my mom, Mango chutney is flavored by a combination of five spices (cumin seeds, black pepper, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds) , famously called as the Bengali Panch Phoron. But this recipe is a different from the traditional style . Here, I let my own taste buds and experience to guide which particular spice to use and then bloomed them in oil before the pressure cooking step. The main highlight and flavoring agent in this recipe is the ‘Cumin Seeds’.
In Sanskrit, the cumin is called ‘jira’ , meaning ‘that which helps in digestion’. The cumin seeds when roasted and powdered has a distinct flavor and warm aroma due to its essential oil content. This spice is very popular globally and is an essential flavoring agent in many cuisines.
- 1 raw mango peeled and cut into thin slices lengthwise or chopped into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chilli
- ½ tsp black salt or as required
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala powder or curry powder
- 1 cup water
- Dry roast 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and grind it into a fine powder in a spice grinder. Keep it aside.
- Heat a 2 or 3 litre pressure cooker and add olive oil. When the oil is hot,add the remaining cumin seeds and the dry red chilly. When the seeds stop to splutter, add the cut mango pieces. Add turmeric powder, curry powder and salt. Fry it on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add sugar and let it caramelise. Add about 1 cup water to the mixture. Cover the pressure cooker with the lid (weight attached) and cook on medium heat until two whistles.
- Turn off the flame and release the pressure manually.Do not try to force open the cooker with the pressure inside. Its dangerous.
- Remove the lid of the cooker and sprinkle the roasted cumin powder. Stir and mix for 2 minutes on low heat. Turn off the heat.
- Serve the raw mango chutney as a side dish or sweet with lunch or dinner.