Pancakes are a traditional North America breakfast. A pancake is a flat cake, thin and round prepared from starch based batter. You may add egg or use buttermilk. This is my recipe of making eggless banana pancakes with cardamon sugar syrup flavored with orange zest
- 1 cup all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp refined oil
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter(optional )
- For the syrup :
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cardamon powder
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp edible food color or crushed 2-3 strands of saffron
- Prepare the pancake sugar syrup. Combine sugar and water in a pan and bring it to a boil on medium heat till the sugar is completely dissolved. Add cardamon powder, orange zest and crushed saffron or food colour.
- Stir and mix. Continue to boil till you get a single string thread consistency. Take it off the heat and keep it aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork such that there are little chunks of bananas in the puree.
- Combine oil, yogurt, milk, sugar, coconut, cinnamon powder, vanilla extract , and pumpkin pie spice in a large mixing bowl. Stir and mix well to form a smooth mixture.
- Sieve the flour mixture into the mixing bowl. Add the mashed bananas. Stir and mix well with the help of a spatula or whisk so that the flour and the bananas is well incorporated .
- Heat a griddle or nonstick pan. Add 1 tsp oil into the pan and pour 1/3 cup of pancake batter into the pan for each pancake.
- Cook 3-4 minutes on low medium heat or till the sides turn light brown or golden. Drizzle little oil along the sides and over the pancake. Turn and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes or till the edges turn brown or light golden in colour.
- Serve the banana pancakes hot with pancake sugar syrup and peanut butter.