French Polynesias Traditional Tahiti Banana Poe is a sweet, pudding-like confection made from bananas, cornstarch, sugar, flavored by vanilla and served with full fat coconut cream.
Before stumbling upon this beautiful banana poe recipe, I have not heard of Tahiti . So for those ignorant souls like me, here is a brief history of this beautiful island. Tahiti is the largest island in French Polynesia which is composed of 118 geographically dispersed islands in the South Pacific Ocean. As a matter of fact, it is the most populous island of French Polynesia. Because this island was formed from volcanic activity, one of the major attractions of this island is the Black Sand Beach. Black sand is sand that is black in color and consists of tiny fragments of basalt.
Tahiti became a part of France in 1880 but Tahitians were legally authorised to be French citizens in 1946 and though French is the official language, their regional language, Reo Tahiti is widely spoken.
Coming back to French Polynesias Traditional Tahiti Banana Poe, this is a very simple recipe but insanely delicious . This dessert is also served in Tahiti during the feast.
- 3 large ripe bananas (for 2 cups banana puree)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup full fat coconut cream
- 1 tsp brown sugar for garnishing
- Butter for greasing the loaf pan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a loaf pan( regular size : 8.5'' X 4.5" X 2.75" ) with parchment paper or grease it with butter. Keep it aside.
- Peel the bananas and slice it into small pieces. Puree the banana slices in stand in mixer at low pulse. Transfer it into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Shift the cornstarch and add into the banana puree. Add sugar and vanilla. You may adjust the sugar as per your taste. Mix well by a spatula till all the ingredients are blended together into a smooth mixture.
- Pour the banana Poe batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until the poe is set.
- When the banana Poe is done, take it out from the oven and allow it to cool at room temperature. Refrigerate it for 2-3 hours.
- Unmold the banana Poe and cut it into cubes. Serve it in a bowl and pour coconut cream over it. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over it. The authentic Tahitian dessert is ready.