Patty Melts is an American sandwich( more like a burger) that consist of a hamburger patty topped with cheese and between two slices of bread. In many parts of US, the patties are topped with caramelized onions. Grilled Vegetarian Patty Melts is my vegetarian interpretation n this delicious sandwich. I made a sago spinach patties topped with lettuce and Monterey Jack cheese, between two slices of bread. The sandwich is then grilled till it turns nice golden brown and crisp. This is an absolutely irresistible delicious sandwich.
Who does not love a sandwich which has a luscious, crispy, golden brown patties enclosed by melted cheese between two slices of bread ? There are so many ways you can have different open interpretations of sandwiches and burgers. It does not requires you to be a professional, or skilled to prepare a sandwich and burger. So, in this post, I am preparing a Patty Melts sandwich but with a vegetarian interpretation , and you thought only non-vegetarians can enjoy patty melts !!
In the last week, I made various delicious sandwiches and burgers, which can be easily prepared at home and no less than your café sandwiches and burgers. This is my first post in the series #SandwichesAndBurgers.
- For Sago Spinach Patties :
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup boiled, peeled and lump free mashed potatoes
- ½ cup sago or sabudana( washed and soaked for 3-4 hours)
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, skin removed
- salt as per taste
- ½ knob ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 green chillies finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil + 2 tbsp olive oil to shallow fry the patties
- For Patty Melts sandwich:
- 8 slices whole grain white bread
- 1 cups torn fresh lettuce leaves
- 8 thin slices Monterey jack cheese or any American cheese
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato ketchup sauce for seasoning
- 1.5 tbsp Honey Mustard sauce for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper for seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter for grilling sandwiches.
- Prepare the patties. Drain the sabudana(sago) and leave it in colander for atleast 15 minutes. Cover it lightly with kitchen paper towel.
- Finely chop the spinach leaves. Heat a pan and add 2 tsp oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger , chopped green chillies and saute at low heat for 2 minutes till the raw smell of the ginger goes away. Add the spinach leaves and stir fry at medium high till the leaves wilt and there is no moisture. Turn off the heat. Allow the spinach to cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Coarsely grind the peanuts in a mixer or food processor. Add it into the mixing bowl. Add the drained sago, mashed potatoes, black pepper, sauteed spinach and salt. Mix well by hand until the dough holds together. Lightly wet your hand or apply little oil on your palms. Divide the dough into equal medium size balls. Take one ball and pat it lightly in the shape of a patty. Repeat this for all the balls.
- Heat a non stick pan and add 2 tsp oil into it. Once the oil is heated, lower the gas and put the patties in the pan. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan and there should be atleast 1 inch gap between the patties. Shallow fry the patties for 5 minutes on each side or until it turns crispy and light golden. Then crack up the heat a little high and again cook each side for 2 minutes each. You will get crispy patties.
- Assemble the patty melts sandwich in this way : Take a slice of bread, put a slice of cheese on it and then put a sago spinach patty. Drizzle some honey mustard and tomato ketchup on the patty,add quarter cup of torn lettuce and layer it with another slice of cheese. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper and finally top it with another slice of bread.
- Heat a griddle or non stick pan on medium heat. Drizzle some oil or melt a teaspoon of butter on it. Grill the sandwich until golden brown on low medium heat. Remove the sandwich and again add a teaspoon of butter or oil. Flip the sandwich and cook the other side on the grilled pan until golden brown. Cook the other sandwiches in similar way.
- Cut the sandwiches into half and serve immediately.