Healthy And Instant Spinach Rava Idlis is a delcious breakfast, served with some spicy chutney or steaming sambhar and for keeping body and soul together when your stomach’s empty and your day has just begun 🙂This recipe can be used to try out different varied types of idlis. For instance, in this recipe, I have used spinach but you can also add shredded carrot or fresh herbs like cilantro. You can also add dry fruits like cashews, walnuts or peanuts.
This recipe is quick, easy and best part is it does not require any fermentation.
- 1½ cup rava/semolina
- 1½ yogurt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground or grated ginger
- 2 cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup water
- salt as per taste
- Whisk the yogurt in a medium size mixing bowl until it is smooth.
- Add all the ingredients. Stir and mix so that all the ingredients are mixed together to form a smooth mixture.
- Cover and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- After the batter has rested, its time for some stovetop cooking.
- Take an idli steamer and fill it with enough water. Bring it to a boil.
- While the water is heating, grease the idly steamer plates with oil.
- Pour 2 spoonful (or as required )of batter into the molds so that it fills ¾th of the molds.
- When the water starts boiling, put the idli stand into the steamer. Cover the lid and cook it on medium high heat for 10-11 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick into the idlis to check for doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean, then it is done else cook it for another 2 minutes or till it is done.
- Let the idlis cool for 3-4 minutes and then take it out using a spoon onto a plate. Serve it hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.