Whip up a batch of Homemade Spicy Pesto Hummus with Baked Pita Chips in minutes! It’s easy and tastes irresistibly fresh.
Hummus is Egyptian food dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. Pita chips are a baked or fried brittle chip made from pita bread, can be eaten with nearly every dip imaginable, for instance, hummus, baba ganoush, tzatziki, or tabouleh. Together, they make a fantastic appetizer, snack or solo dinner.
Through this post, I am sharing my way of making the most perfect hummus and baked pita chips!
Pita bread has been a staple of the Middle East for 4,000 years. In fact, pitas with round pockets served the dual purpose of a bread as well as a utensil throughout the Middle East and Eastern Mediterranean. The round pockets of pita can be filled like sandwich bread, but many traditional cultures use the pita more like a soft taco. Additionally, the pita is taken apart into pieces and dipped in all types of sauces.
Originally, the pita was a combination of dough that was let to sit and collect yeast and fresh dough until the discovery that brewers yeast works. In the Middle East, it is still often made in a backyard stove compared to the store-bought pitas that have spread all over the globe.
Tired of the same basic hummus recipe ? Here, in this post, I made a new hummus recipe with basil and cilantro pesto!! If you’re looking for a light, flavorful summer hummus recipe, this basil cilantro pesto hummus is the one for you. Its healthy and quick to make with no cooking!
Homemade Spicy Pesto Hummus with Baked Pita Chips is just the appropriate option to prepare when you have a get together or party at home or on any game day !! Share your Homemade Spicy Pesto Hummus with Baked Pita Chips cooking experience in the comments section. You can also rate the recipe and give feedback.
- For Pita Chips :
- 3 Pita flatbreads
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove smashed and finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano powder
- Pinch of salt
- For Hummus :
- 2 cups boiled chickpeas
- 2 tbsp tahini sauce
- 2 tbsp blanched almonds
- 3 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp for garnishing
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves or stems
- ½ knob ginger roughly chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 8-12 green chillies (adjust as per your spice taste)
- Quarter of a small onion
- salt as per taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare the pita chips. Cut the pitas into 8 equal wedges. Combine 4 tbsp olive oil, oregano powder, garlic and salt in a bowl. Brush the pita chips with olive oil and garlic mixture on both the sides. Arrange the pita chips on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Prepare the spicy pesto hummus. Coarsely grind the chickpeas in a mixer or food processor along with little water. Add tahini sauce, almonds, basil leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, lemon juice , green chillies, onion and salt as per taste. Scrape the sides in between, add olive oil through the feed tube and grind the mixture into a thick, smooth and creamy paste. Take it out in a bowl and drizzle some olive oil on top. The spicy pesto hummus is ready.
- Serve the spicy pesto hummus with pita chips.