Homemade Tandoori Masala Powder or Tandoori Spice Mix is an authentic Indian spice mix, consisting of cumin, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, chili, turmeric, star anise and black peppercorns. “Tandoor” refers to a type of clay oven first used in India that allows for high-heat cooking. The word “Masala” means seasoning. This spice mix is used extensively with dishes such as tandoori chicken, tikka or butter chicken.
However, Tandoori Spice Mix is very versatile and can be used to flavor any veggies, panner, tofu. Homemade Tandoori Masala Powder or Tandoori Spice Mix brings freshness, and the flavor is much richer and better than the store bought ones. Moreover, the homemade spice mixes have no artificial ingredients and preservatives. When prepared at home, the Tandoori Masala Powder or Tandoori Spice Mix can be stored in an airtight container.
Share your Homemade Tandoori Masala Powder or Tandoori Spice Mix cooking experience in the comments section. You can also rate the Homemade Tandoori Masala Powder or Tandoori Spice Mix and give feedback.
- 1 cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 32-40 dry red chilies
- 2 tbsp cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 20 green cardamom or use black cardamom
- 2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tsp dry ginger powder
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- Dry roast all the whole ingredients, on low heat, except nutmeg powder, turmeric powder, garlic powder and dry ginger powder till you feel the aroma of the spices. Heat about 5-8 minutes.
- Avoid using high heat, since if the spices get burnt, it will affect the taste of the spice mix.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Now, first add the roasted red chilies in a mixer and grind it to fine powder. Then slowly add other roasted spices and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Add nutmeg powder, turmeric powder, garlic powder and dry ginger powder. Pulse the mixer and grind again to smooth powder.
- Take out the grind spice mix into a medium size bowl and let it cool. Then store it in an airtight container.
- The Tandoori Masala Powder or Indian Tandoori Spice Mix is ready to use.