When I was small, my summer vacation used to be in Kolkata at my grandparent’s home. Wandering in the streets, you will see street vendors on mobile stall selling these deliciously looking tortilla wrapped egg rolls. A very popular street snack of Kolkata, the Kolkata Style Egg Roll consists of a tortilla fried with egg and then filled with onion, tomato, cucumber or any greens you like. Drizzle a little tomato ketchup and roll it into a wrap. Variations include cooked kebab meat like chicken or mutton along with onion, tomato and leafy vegetables. In this recipe, I have prepared a basic quick egg roll. I have used precooked chappati. You can use parathas also instead. The fillings include onion, tomato, torn lettuce leaves and drizzled with tomato ketchup and honey mustard sauce.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 precooked chappatis or parathas or corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil or any refined cooking oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- chopped cucumber or 1 cup torn lettuce leaves
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- black salt as per taste (you can use normal salt also)
- tomato ketchup for seasoning
- honey mustard sauce for seasoning(optional)
- wax paper or parchment paper or aluminium foil to wrap the egg roll
- Combine onions, tomatoes and torn lettuce leaves or cucumber in a bowl. Add lemon juice and salt as per taste. Stir and mix. Keep it aside.
- Beat one egg in a bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Heat a tava or a non stick pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil starts to simmer, add the beaten egg and spread it in the shape and almost the same size and shape as your paratha or chappati.
- Place the chappati on top of the egg and lightly pat it so that it sticks to the egg. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame or till the egg is cooked. Flip it and cook the other side for 1 minute. Take it out on a plate and lay it flat, egg side up.
- Put generous amount of the onion tomatoes filling mixture in the center. Drizzle some tomatoes ketchup and honey mustard sauce over the filling. Roll the paratha with the filling and seal it with a toothpick. Wrap the bottom half of the roll with parchment paper or wax paper or foil and fold the bottom of foil inwards. Repeat steps 2-5 to prepare rest of the egg rolls.
- Serve the egg rolls hot.