Microwave Chocolate Brownies Recipe is a easy, quick and delicious microwave dessert recipe. These brownies can be prepared in under 5 minutes and are soft and spongy. The trick to get the best dishes from microwave cooking, is to know your microwave well and learn how it actually works, then you can make even complex recipes in your microwave.
For preparing cake and muffins
For cooking proteins
When it comes to proteins, chicken and fish which are tender, can be cooked in microwave. But proteins like meat should be eliminated from microwave cooking. The reason is the maximum temperature that can be reached in a microwave is 100 degree C. Tough meats like lamb, mutton, ribs requires a much higher temperature, directly touching the outside, creating a Mallirad reaction. Only under these circumstances, meat becomes caramelized and acquires that delicious taste. A microwave tends to boil the meat, the result is depressing, and not a single food lover will want to eat it! However, surprisingly you can cook a duck in a microwave, as it does not require a Mallirad reaction to cook through.
Check out my Microwave Steamed Fish in Bengali Mustard Sauce Recipe . This is a contest winning recipe in Microwave Cooking Contests, organized by the food discovery platform and group BetterButter.
For cooking veggies
To understand the effect of microwave cooking on the vegetables, lets understand the basics of the vegetables and fruits food science. Vegetables and fruits when exposed to heat, causes the breakdown of some nutrients, such as Vitamin C. There are other nutrients that are water-soluble, which means they leach out of the vegetables and into the cooking water. So the best way to retain the nutrients, is by cooking vegetables quickly and using minimal water.
Hence, contrary to the age old belief, that microwave is not safe for cooking vegetables and kills nutrients, it actually is the best method for cooking many fruits and vegetables because of its quick cooking time.
To quote Jo Robinson, investigative journalist, researcher and author of the book, ‘Eating on the Wild Side’, “Steaming in the microwave is the best method for many fruits and vegetables because it cooks very quickly”.Also, she points out that the microwave does not expose the vegetables to intense heat, hence preserving the antioxidants in the vegetables.
Cooking Time for Microwave
The exact cooking time depends on the microwave itself, hence its best to look up the manual to figure out the specifications and the best parameters.
- ¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 tbsp + 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter ( I used 100% refined coconut oil)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips(I used Hershely's semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Put the butter, olive oil and cocoa powder into a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 30-60 seconds.Stir and mix every 30 seconds to melt the butter and all the ingredients are well combined to get a smooth chocolate mixture. Keep it aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, granulated sugar and dark brown sugar till you get a uniform smooth mixture. Pour in the chocolate mixture, vanilla and stir well to get a creamy smooth mixture.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour along with the baking powder and salt. Add the egg and chocolate mixture into this bowl and mix well with a spatula, until the flour is just well combined. Do not overmix.
- Line a microwave safe glass container with parchment paper or grease it with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan, spread it put evenly, and scatter the chocolate chips on top. Place the container inside the microwave and cook for 2 minutes or longer depending on the power of the microwave. Do not overcook, else the brownie will harden on cooling and may also burn. I have a 900 watt power microwave and it took 2 minutes to cook the brownie. Its advisable to check the doneness of the brownie every 30 seconds after 2 minutes cook time. Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, then the brownie is done.
- Remove the glass pan from the microwave and let it cool for 5 minutes before cutting and eating.