No Onion No Garlic Creamy Healthy Couscous Porridge is a simple, healthy couscous dish that is creamy and indulgent but has no heavy cream !! I used whole grain Couscous, Button mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper and I added in a little white pepper powder and ginger for enhanced flavor. Stir in Mozzarella cheese at the end and gently mix.
No Onion No Garlic Creamy Healthy Couscous Porridge dish is definitely a tasty healthy comfort food and you should give it a try if you want something hearty, creamy, cheesy, and bready 🙂
Check out the short video recipe for this dish.
- ⅔ cups whole grain couscous
- 2 large whole mushrooms( finely sliced, or chopped)
- 1¼ cups milk(whole or skim)
- ¼ cups shredded or grated mozzarella cheese
- half bell pepper julienned
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup olive oil ( you can also add ghee or clarified butter or any other refined vegetable oil)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leafs(optional)
- half a knob ginger finely chopped or grated
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves or cilantro( for garnish)
- Heat a wok. Add oil and ghee.
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds. When the seeds start sizzling, add curry leafs(if using) and ginger. Saute on low heat for 2 minutes till the raw smell of the ginger goes awat and leafs turn crispy.
- Add all the veggies - mushrooms, bell pepper, and spinach. Stir fry at medium high heat.
- Add pepper powder and the couscous . Saute till blonde in colour.
- Now pour the milk and cook till it becomes a homogenous mixture. Cover and cook until couscous is baked.
- Add some cheese and salt as needed.Mix it gently.
- Turn off the heat . Transfer creamy healthy couscous upma into a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro and serve it hot.