Quick Crispy Chicken cutlet is one of those recipes that never gets old for a quick weeknight chicken dinner. This recipe transforms a leftover chicken, probably sitting in your fridge to a satisfying dinner on the table in just under 30 minutes.
In Indian cuisine, a cutlet specifically refers to cooked meat stuffing that is fried with a batter/covering. The meat itself is cooked with spices – onion, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander (cilantro), green chilies, lemon and salt. This is then dipped in an egg mix and then in breadcrumbs, and fried in ghee or vegetable oil. However in this recipe, I have used a mixture of fine semolina and rolled oats for the breading.
Some notes :
The cutlets can also be shallow fried. But, in order to achieve the best results, refrigerate the cutlets for atleast 20 minutes before frying them.
You can also substitute the semolina and oats mixture with seasoned breadcrumbs.
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup grated boiled peeled potatoes
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp tandoori masala powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chillies
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt as per taste
- ½ cup rolled out oats
- ½ cup seasoned fine semolina
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp cold milk
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Oil for deep fry
- Heat a pan and add 2 tsp oil . When the oil is hot, add the onions, ginger and garlic paste. Saute it till the onions turns light brown, soft and translucent. Turn off the heat. Keep it aside and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Now combine all the ingredients - chicken, mashed potatoes,fried onions, ginger,garlic, green chillies, chopped coriander leaves, red chilly powder,garam masala powder,turmeric powder and salt in a medium size mixing bowl. Mix everything well and then divide the mixture into 8 equal size cutlets of any shape. They can be round, rectangular or oval.
- Set out three casserole dishes and add the flour to the first. Whisk together the milk and eggs in the second. Mix together the seasoned fine semolina and rolled oats in the third. Dredge each cutlet first through the flour, then in the egg mixture and finally in the breading mixture. Put the chicken pieces on a clean baking sheet and refrigerate for atleast 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Once hot, add the cutlets, in batches, and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Serve the cutlets with spicy chutney.