Refereshing and Flavorful Ridge Gourd Peels Chutney is a traditional Indian chutney made from ridge gourd peels.
Turai Chutney can be prepared in many ways and they mostly use coconut; however, this is a no coconut version and prepared from fresh ridge gourd peels, fresh coriander leaves, onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and tomato.
The ridge gourd peels and cut pieces are sauteed and tempered with Indian spices like mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaf powder and roasted chana dal, that enhances its taste.
Chutneys can be wet, semi-dry or dry and can be sweet, sour or spicy. The proportion of the ingredients can hence be varied as per your required taste and consistency. I have a preference for spicy flavor and hence use a lot of green chillies in my chutney. You can use as less as 4 green chillies, just for that extra kick. Similarly the addition of sugar or jaggery is completely optional. I use a little sugar to tone down the sourness coming from the tomato.
Ridge Gourd Peels Chutney aids metabolism and since it is a plant based diet, it low in fat, full of vitamins, antioxidants and iron found in green leafy vegetables. You can store the leftover chutney in fridge for later use for about 4-5 days.
This is a refreshing and flavorful dip to go with snacks or for spreading on sandwiches. Please do try and let me know !!
- 2 cups fresh Ridge Gourd Peel
- 1/3 cups Peeled and cubed ridge gourd
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp curry leaf powder
- 2 tablespoons roasted chana dal
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar or powdered jaggery (optional)
- 1 medium bunch of fresh coriander leaves and stems (cilantro)
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- Half a knob ginger finely chopped or ground
- 4-10 green chillies(adjust as per your spice preference
- 1 large tomato roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and when they splutter, add the onions and the curry leaf powder. Saute at low medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add roasted chana dal and saute.
- Add ridge gourd cubes and peels. Saute till they soften and is cooked. Turn off the heat, cool the mixture slightly and transfer into a mixer jar.
- Put all the rest of ingredients into the mixer jar and blitz into a paste. The chutney is ready !!
- Serve the chutney in a small bowl. Dollop it on one side of the plate, or use as a spread in a bread or burrito.