Savory Crisp ,Spicy and Peppery Banana Zucchini Balls make a great snack or appetizer and goes great with a spicy chutney. These banana balls are loaded with nutrients and better, they are easy to make, and requires only few ingredients.
Bananas are typically associated with sweet dishes. However banana is a versatile fruit and makes both sweet and savory dishes shine. When combined with zucchini and coconut, these savory banana balls are spicy with just the right amount of sweetness from the banana and honey. I have used tandoori masala powder in this recipe but you can use any curry powder of your choice.
The peppery flavor comes from white pepper powder. White pepper has a milder, more delicate flavor than black pepper and it is a widely used spice in Europe and Japan. Both black pepper and white pepper comes from the fruit of the pepper plant, but they are processed differently. Black peppercorns are picked when almost ripe and sun-dried, turning the outer layer black. The white pepper is actually the inner seed, obtained by removing the outer layer, before or after drying.
- 1 large ripe banana
- ¼ cup coarsely grated zucchini, squeezed dry
- ¼ cup coconut powder
- ½ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour( or whole wheat flour)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala powder( or any curry powder)
- ¼ tsp red chilly powder
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- pinch of Sea Salt
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mash the bananas separately in a bowl using a fork. Add the milk and honey into it and mix it evenly. Keep it aside.
- Add baking powder and salt to the rice flour in a mixing bowl. Whisk it a little so that it is evenly mixed.
- Add the refined or whole wheat flour to the rice flour mixture. Then add zucchini, panko breadcrumbs and grated coconut into the mixing bowl.
- Next, add in the ginger, turmeric powder, tandoori masala powder, red chilly powder and white pepper powder in the mixing bowl.
- Now, add the mashed banana mixture into the dry ingredients mixture.Combine and mix all the ingredients using a spatula so that there are no lumps. Refrigerate this mixture for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat enough oil in a heavy bottom pan to fry the banana balls. The oil should neither be too hot nor too cold.
- Add a little batter to the oil. If it rises at once from the bottom to the top and does not get burnt, then the oil is the correct temperature. Add 5-6 medium sized banana balls using hand or spoons into the pan and fry them on a medium flame till they become crispy and golden on all sides. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Take out the banana balls on a plate and let it rest on a paper towel for 3-4 minutes to drain the excess oil.
- Serve the Savory Crisp ,Spicy and Peppery Banana Zucchini Balls hot with a savory green chutney.