Sicilian Watermelon Pudding With Cinnamon Twist is an Italian dessert with blended watermelon boiled in cornstarch mixture and flavored with vanilla and cinnamon.
The pudding is poured in ramekin molds and then chilled until set. To serve, unmold the pudding, and garnish it with little ground cinnamon and chopped walnuts. This dish is inspired from the blog Tara’s multicultural table.
- 2⅓ cups watermelon chunks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ stick cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon powder to garnish
- 2 tsp chopped walnuts for garnish
- To make the watermelon puree, remove seeds from fresh watermelon and cut into large chunks. Place in a blender and process until smooth and well pureed. Strain the mixture into a bowl and measure 2 cups and 5 teaspoon puree from it.
- Take the cornstarch in a small bowl and add ¼ cup watermelon puree to it. Stir and mix till the cornstarch dissolves completely without any lumps.
- In a pan, combine watermelon puree, cornstarch mixture, sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon stick. It is advisable to not to use non stick pan as the cooking involves continuous stirring and mixing.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat and then let it simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens. Stir continuously to avoid any lumps. This is very important.
- Rinse two large ramekins with water. Do not dry them. Pour the watermelon pudding mixture into the ramekins . Cover it with a plastic clear wrap and refrigerate it for 6 hours.
- To serve, remove the plastic cover. You can serve it in ramekins itself or unmold the pudding. To unmold, move the ramekin between your palms and then hold them inverted but slightly tilted and give the sides a good whack by using the heel of your hand. This breaks the vaccum between the ramekin and the pudding. You might have to whack more than once to unmold. The pudding will come out easily on your plate.
- Garnish the Sicilian Watermelon Pudding Recipe With Cinnamon Twist with ground cinnamon and chopped walnuts.