Spicy Torai-Ridge Gourd Chutney is an Indian chutney made from ridge gourd or torai as is popularly known in India. This fresh healthy Indian chutney is both spiky and comforting accompaniment, can be dolloped on one side of the plate or smeared onto and encircling burrito or chappati.
Turai Chutney can be prepared in many ways and they mostly use coconut; however, this is a no coconut version and prepared from fresh ridge gourd peels, fresh coriander leaves, onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and tomato.
The ridge gourd peels and cut pieces are sauteed and tempered with Indian spices like mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaf powder and roasted chana dal, that enhances its taste.
Chutneys can be wet, semi-dry or dry and can be sweet, sour or spicy. The proportion of the ingredients can hence be varied as per your required taste and consistency. I have a preference for spicy flavor and hence use a lot of green chillies in my chutney. You can use as less as 4 green chillies, just for that extra kick. Similarly the addition of sugar or jaggery is completely optional. I use a little sugar to tone down the sourness coming from the tomato.
Ridge Gourd Peels Chutney aids metabolism and since it is a plant based diet, it low in fat, full of vitamins, antioxidants and iron found in green leafy vegetables. You can store the leftover chutney in fridge for later use for about 4-5 days.
This is a refreshing and flavorful dip to go with snacks or for spreading on sandwiches. Please do try and let me know !! Scroll down to see step-by-step recipe description.
- ½ cup washed, peeled and cubed ridge gourd
- 2 cups of fresh ridge gourd peel
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- Half a knob ginger finely chopped or ground
- 6-10 green chillies(adjust as per your spice prefernce)
- 1 large tomato roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon yogurt(optional) or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves and stems
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp curry leaf powder
- 2 tablespoons roasted chana dal
- 2 tsp mustard oil or any refined oil
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the onions and the curry leaf powder. Saute at low medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add roasted chana dal and saute.
- Add ridge gourd cubes and peels. Saute till they soften. Turn off the heat, cool the mixture slightly and trasfer into a mixer jar.
- Put all the rest of ingredients into the mixer jar and blitz into a paste. The chutney is ready !!
- Serve the chutney in a small bowl.
Step-by-Step Recipe description :
Take 2 fresh looking medium size ridge gourd. Wash it properly in cold water, so that there is no dust.
Using a peeler, peel the ridge gourd so that there are approximately 2 cups of fresh ridge gourd peel.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and when they splutter, add the onions and the curry leaf powder. Saute at low medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add roasted chana dal and saute.
Add ridge gourd cubes and peels. Saute till they soften and is cooked. Turn off the heat, cool the mixture slightly and transfer into a mixer jar.
Put all the rest of ingredients into the mixer jar and blitz into a paste. The chutney is ready !!