Continuing my blog for ‘GoGlobal’ series, in this post, my recipe is ‘Traditional Potato Skins filled with cheddar mozzarella cheeses and chicken’. Potato skins are a snack food or appetizer made of unpeeled potato halves, hollowed and dressed with bacon,cheddar cheese and green onions.These snacks are commonly made in homes across America. They have become a household favorite since they were introduced in American life. They are used as snacks for events such as The Super Bowl and other large events. This is my recipe for Crispy Potato Skins wth Mozzarella-cheddar cheeses , green onions, green capsicum and chicken served with sour cream.
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 60 minutes
Serves : 4 pieces
- 2 large russet or baking potatoes
- 2 chicken breasts or thighs washed, cleaned and cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 tsp tandoori masala powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves smashed and finely chopped
- 1/2 knob ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- salt as per taste
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 green onions finely chopped
- Cooking oil spray for greasing the baking pan
- 1/2 green capsicum finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar for filling + 1 tbsp for garnishing
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Prepare a baking pan and line it with aluminum foil. Grease the pan with cooking oil spray.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes nicely with cold water. Pat it dry well with a kitchen paper towel or any absorbment material. Lightly poke the potatoes on the outer side with the tip of the knife. Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until skin is crisp and potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove the pan and allow to cool until you can handle the potatoes.
- Prepare the filling mixture. Season the chicken with ginger, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Add tandoori masala powder, half a teaspoon of black pepper, one fourth teaspoon of cayenne, Kashmiri chilly powder and allow the chicken marinade to rest for 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the green onions and capsicum. Heat a pan. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil starts to simmer, add the chicken and saute it at medium high heat till the pinkness is gone and the chicken is cooked. Take out the chicken in a plate. Do not throw out the fat in the pan. Now add the green onions and capsicum in the same pan and saute at medium high heat till the onions turn soft and translucent. Add half a teaspoon of black pepper and the remaining cayenne. Turn off the heat and keep the fried green onions and capsicum aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, cut it into two halfs lengthwise. Scoop out the insides, leaving about 1/4th of potato in the skins. You can use the scooped out potatoes for another dish. Brush the inside and outside of the potatoes with butter or oil. Sprinkle a little black pepper and salt on the inside of the potatoes.
- Place the half potatoes, skin side up, on the baking pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Using tongs, flip the potatoes over to the other side and continue to bake for another 5 minutes until the edges of the potatoes start to turn golden brown.
- After you take the crispy potato skins out, add half a tablespoon of mozzarella cheese on the inside of each of the skins. Then sprinkle plenty of fried chicken over it. Add the fried green onions and capsicum over the chicken and finally top it off with half a tablespoon of cheddar cheese.
- Place the stuffed potato skins in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 to 5 minutes. Keep a watch as not to burn the top. Finally top the potatoes skin with sour cream and garnish it with little cheddar cheese.