The BEST No Oil or Butter Zucchini-Banana Flaxseed Muffins EVER! These breakfast muffins contain all the healthy nutrients like zucchini, banana and ground flaxseed. Moist, sweet, packed with shredded zucchini, walnuts, banana, and spiced with vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Check out the benefits of zucchini in my post Healthy Eggless Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies .
Tips of adding flaxseed in baked products :-
- Flaxseed has high levels of essential nutrients, such as folic acid, vitamins, and minerals.
- Since flaxseed is high in oil, for most baked products, moderate to high inclusion levels of ground flaxseed allow for the reduction or removal of shortening or other added oils( as done in this recipe).
- Flaxseed can be added in the baked products as whole seed for texture. However, flaxseed must be ground or milled prior to consumption to obtain the potential health benefits from the Omega-3 fatty acids and lignans.
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large banana
- 1-1/2 cup grated zucchini ( unpeeled and excess water squeezed out)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup tightly packed brown sugar(light or dark)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk( skim or whole)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 12 standard muffin cups with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Mash the banana in a small bowl with a fork or puree it in a mixer or food processor. Keep it aside.
- Sieve all purpose flour in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the flax seeds, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, nutmeg and whisk it all together, until well combined. Keep it aside.
- In another mixing bowl add sugar and milk. Stir and mix until the sugar is fully incorporated. Add egg, vanilla extract and the mashed banana. Stir and mix at low speed. Do not overbeat.
- Add the dry flour mixture intermittently into the milk-sugar mixture, at low speed and stir until combined (do not overmix).
- Add the zucchini and the chopped walnuts into the batter and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter among muffin cups. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Let muffins cool completely in pan on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.